[mythtv-users] Good Frontend

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 15:39:50 UTC 2010

On 3/1/2010 10:22 AM, Josh White wrote:
> I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but I noticed this
> (http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=95
> <http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=95>) yesterday.
> The price seems a bit high, but not totally unreasonable. It has the
> ion chipset with a dual core atom, so it may work well for a
> frontend/backend, and would satisfy the OP's $500-$600 price point.
> And it supports a vendor that builds machines intended to run Linux
> (for whatever that's worth).  The case looks good, and it can be
> optioned with a built-in optical drive.  I've never seen/heard one in
> person, so I can't attest to the quietness of the
> unit.http://mythtv.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/mythtv-users
If they would put a fanless Atom 230 and an SSD drive in it, so that the
only moving part was the DVD drive (and it only moves when you are
playing video when hopefully the audio track covers any drive noise),
and add a built in IR receiver, it would be nearly perfect.  An LCD/VF
display would be nice as an option, but certainly not required.

Jeff.

--
I haven't smoked for 3 years, 6 months and 1 week, saving $5,816.31 and
not smoking 38,775.41 cigarettes.