[mythtv-users] Warning - .htaccess removed

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 23:06:02 UTC 2010

Hi list,

I am not sure how long ago this happened, but recently, I have not
been asked to supply credentials when logging into mythweb.  I use
fedora 12, update my system with yum, and use .htaccess to secure my
system.  I tried figuring out what happened and saw that I no longer
had /var/www/html/mythweb/.htaccess.  Fortunately, I had some older
saved versions of this file from prior updates saved as
/var/www/html/mythweb/.htaccess.rpmnew and
/var/www/html/mythweb/.htaccess.rpmsave.  These files were several
years old, so I don't think it was a recent yum update.  For all I
know, it could have been when I updated to fedora 12 from fedora 10
(which means I have had a unsecure setup since November; fortunately,
the google spiders did not index my page and delete all my recordings
as I have heard has happened to others -- most likely because I don't
run the server on port 80).

Just wanted to give others a heads up in case the same thing happened
to them and they maybe did not notice not being asked for login
information.  I have my username and password saved on all the
machines I regularly log into mythweb with, so I typically just hit ok
and log in and did not even realize I was not having to do this.