[mythtv-users] Heads up - Gentoo 0.22 Upgrade Coming Soon

Richard Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Tue Mar 2 00:31:07 UTC 2010

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 06:30:38 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> This is one area where Myth feels like a home brew project. There
> just shouldn't be anyway that a single machine out on the network
> should be able to mess up the server's database, or at least I would
> hope not.

To be honest this issue sort-of crept up.  MySQL migrated their
preferred locale settings but most distros lagged on implementing this,
so most MythTV devs didn't get exposed to the problem.  Sure, in theory
I guess they could publish a new version of 0.21 that at least
implements some more sanity checks, but that only helps users that
upgrade to that version of 0.21 before going to 0.22.

> In general I cannot control whether my wife in the other part of the
> house is going to power up a remote frontend and try to watch a
> program. It would be far better if the backend could handle requests
> from frontends of any revision, if for not other reason than to tell
> the frontend it's out of date and refuse to play programs.

Yup - you'll need to disable those other frontends.  I use minimyth for
my main remote frontend and I went ahead and disabled it via the dhcp
config so that it wouldn't power up before I was ready.

Myth has some sanity checks, but they don't detect the locale issue,
because that issue was unknown at the time 0.21 was released.  If all
database contact went through the backend it could probably deal with
the issue, but MythTV doesn't really have a true separate application
tier - everything talks directly to the database for the most part.

Getting this stuff right is hard, and even with hindsight it would
probably be a lot of work to fix this stuff considering it is a problem
that a one-time migration will fix.

> I'll study this. Myth is weird video to me. I'm used to running lots
> of apps over the network but not this one.

Something like mythtv-setup should probably work fine.  Actual video
playback may not work across the network if hardware rendering is in use.

Another option is tightvnc or something like that.