[mythtv-users] Heads up - Gentoo 0.22 Upgrade Coming Soon

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Tue Mar 2 01:48:12 UTC 2010

Richard Freeman wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 14:57:25 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Making sure I can go backward if I have a problem is probably the
>> most important thing to me. If the first frontend cannot play then
>> backing the server down to 0.21 again is what I really want to make
>> sure I can do.
>
> In theory that doesn't have to be a big problem.  Just use quickpkg to
> save a copy of the 0.21 files, and keep a database dump handy.  Note
> that you're stuck recovering to that point in the past, so figure out if
> you want to revert BEFORE you end up with a pile of soon-to-be-lost
> recordings (unless you plan on trying to manually add them back to the
> database or watch them via mythvideo).  Generally you can't run across
> different mythtv versions, and the local issue makes that even trickier
> than it would otherwise be.  A 0.21 client will partially corrupt your
> database if you don't apply some mysql configuration changes on every
> client.

Along this line, you might want to consider a serious effort to cut your
backlog.  I've been trying to collect the SciFi series, "Eureka", and
have about 3/4 of it recorded.  I used nuvexport to move all of it to
xvid .avi files, and will eventually burn it on dvds.  But I cleared it
out of Myth prior to the upgrade, simply to minimize the at-risk data.

As an interesting side, one if the episodes had an accented "n" in the
title and was flagged as a partial corruption source by tld's checking
script.  Taking care of that episode got that piece of problem out of my
database.

I did have partial corruption, but managed to follow instructions and
get it cleaned up.  For Gentoo types, there's more here:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-812778-highlight-.html

Dale Pontius