[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Issues

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Tue Mar 2 05:09:32 UTC 2010

On 03/01/2010 07:19 PM, Jeff Wormsley wrote:
> I've Googled but can't find any resolutions for this, although I've seen
> it posted about a couple of times.
>
> My HD-PVR doesn't seem to want to record anymore. Using cat /dev/video0
>  > test.ts, it will capture for about ten seconds and quit. Under Myth
> Live TV, if I go to a channel only available on the HD-PVT tuner, I get
> a black screen and the frontend is totally locked up (I have to
> CTRL-ALT-DEL, the go to the system monitor and kill the thread). This is
> under Ubuntu 9.10. My STB is set to 720P output and I am using SPDIF
> audio and I change channels via firewire, no blasting.
>
> Does anyone remember if there is a resolution for this, or do I need to
> send this one back to Hauppauge?

I'd check to see if the signal coming into the HDPVR is good.  Can you hook up
the inputs to a TV or a monitor to verify?    You could also try hooking up a
TV or monitor to the pass through, but it's never been clear to me if that's
the same output from the capture.  But it might help indicate if the problem
is with the HDPVR.

Are your HDPVR module parameters correct for the inputs?  For component input,
  the parm is default_video_input=0 and for SPDIF default_audio_input=2.  You
can check the current settings by looking at files/parms under
/sys/module/hdpvr/parameters.

You can also try loading the module with hdpvr_debug parm set to a non-zero
value.  A value of 1 should give some extra debug info in the syslog.

Do you get any messages in the mythbackend log?  You might want to try
starting that with -v record,audio,important or -v most and see if that gives
any insight when you start a recording.

Alan