[mythtv-users] Good Frontend

P.J. Trudell pjtrudell at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 2 16:49:24 UTC 2010

>->
>
>Message: 24
>Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 10:50:32 -0600
>From: jedi <jedi at mishnet.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Good Frontend
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
>On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 10:22:24AM -0500, Josh White wrote:

>> > one,
>> > the
>> >
>> > I'm using a USB DVD with my Revos. Works a treat.
>> >
>> > The Revo enjoys an exceptionally high WAF (Wife Approval Factor) - she was
>> > happy for me to buy five of them!
>> >
>> > Ian

>> P.J.,
>>
>> I'm not sure if it's been discussed, but I noticed this (
>> http://www.system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=95) yesterday.
>> The price seems a bit high, but not totally unreasonable. It has the ion
>
>    It's a bit big though. Although it should still fit in the general AV
>footprint. I wouldn't consider it for the bedroom though. This is something
>that I would put next to a cable box or DVD player.
>
>    For a bedroom, I would get the smallest box I can find.
>
>[deletia]

Everyone,
Thanks for the advice on a
front end.

My real question now is will a Revo 1600 and
an external dvd work for streaming hd (assuming 2 gb) or do I need to
go with the 3610.  What about if I eventually add a HD-PVR and use it
as a a second BE/FE, will the 1600 still so that?

Also, do I
need to replace the drive with a solid state drive to make it quite
or is the Revo virtually sound free.  My wife's main complaint
in the tv room is the sound (fan and or hd noise).  I think I read
that some people install myth on a memory card do they disable the
hard drive for complete quite?

I like the other suggestions, but since
sound is one of the top concerns I would like to go with a known
quantity that someone is using.  I am planning on making a mount to
put it on the back of the tv so I think I will be able to hide well
enough.
Thanks Again
P.J.