[mythtv-users] 1TB+ drive recommendation?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Mar 2 22:07:58 UTC 2010

On 2 Mar 2010, at 20:50, John Finlay wrote:

> On 3/2/2010 11:20 AM, Brian Phillips wrote:
>> Mark Knecht wrote:
>>
>>> 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   117   000    Old_age
>>> Always       -       26
>>>
>> Do you have any specific hard drive cooling?  Or is it simply a matter of
>> case fans and the airflow created?
>>
>> Or did you just turn the drive on ;)?
>>
>> 26 seems awfully low (mine idle at 35-40) and I wanted to know if the WD
>> Green drives are really that much cooler.  If it's 26 without any
>> heatsinks/freeze spray, I'm definitely more excited about getting the WD
>> Green as it would show that they actually do run as cool as advertised, and
>> it's not marketing just pitching them as a cooler running drive.
>>

> I find the WD drives run cool but my Samsung runs the coolest (if the stats can be believed):
>
> /dev/sda: WDC WD7500AAKS-00RBA0: 33°C
> /dev/sdb: WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0: 26°C
> /dev/sdc: WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0: 26°C
> /dev/sdd: SAMSUNG HD102UJ: 23°C
> /dev/sde: Maxtor 6Y250P0: 35°C

Perfectly reasonable, my Samsung HD154s are between 19°C and 25°C they have been running for months, the Hitachi is 36°C in the same drive bay.

When I hot swap drives the Samsungs are always cool to the touch when they come out, the Seagates and Hitachi feel much warmer so I believe the smart values.