[mythtv-users] 1TB+ drive recommendation?

Gavin Peters gavin at ytz.ca
Wed Mar 3 03:38:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 12:20:28PM -0700, Brian Phillips wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > 194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   121   117   000    Old_age
> > Always       -       26
>
> Do you have any specific hard drive cooling?  Or is it simply a matter of
> case fans and the airflow created?

I use Seagate green/power-saving HDs in my machine, four of them in RAID5, and
I get somewhat reasonable results too:

$ hddtemp /dev/sd[abcd]
/dev/sda: ST31500541AS: 31°C
/dev/sdb: ST31500541AS: 31°C
/dev/sdc: ST31500541AS: 32°C
/dev/sdd: ST31500541AS: 30°C

At the moment, the machine is recording two HD streams from my HDHR,
and running two commercial flagging jobs.  Hardly idle, though not heavily
loaded.

- Gavin