[mythtv-users] Best cx24116 firmware to put into Mythbuntu?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 15:55:43 UTC 2010

On 3 Mar 2010, at 14:31, Chase Douglas wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm working a bug for Mythbuntu where the cx24116 firmware does not seem
> to work (https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/363682). It appears that there
> are multiple firmware versions that work for people. Is there a
> consensus as to which firmware version is best (works for most
> people/produces best video output quality)?

This is what I discovered, paste from an earlier posting:

There are some odd problems with the firmwares, if you use the latest (I built a new machine three weeks ago) v4l-dvb driver from the hg repository then the firmware 1.26.90 works best. If your kernel has an older driver then 1.26.90 doesn't work! You have to use 1.22.82 or 1.20.79

All versions gathered using the method posted on the v4l-dvb wiki for the hvr-4000
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000

So it depends how up to date the Mythbuntu v4l drivers will be? If they are Ubuntu 9.10 vintage then you need 1.22.82 if they are recently refreshed then 1.26.90 seems to have fewer tuning failures with DVBS2, for me anyway but 1.26.90 just plain doesn't work with the 9.10 vintage driver!

I've been testing these firmwares with vdr 1.7.10 and TVHeadend 2.10 too, same results.

Andre