[mythtv-users] EIT weird characters, rotor position

Gergely Szilvasy szilvasy.lkml at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 3 16:21:53 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I have two unrelated questions, I apologize if they were answered before.

I'm using version 0.22 on Fedora 12 (mythtv is installed from the
rpmfusion repo). I have a DVB-S2 card connected to a motorized dish.

1. When allowing EIT updates on French channels (such as France 2, 3,
etc.) I get weird symbols for the non-ASCII characters (instead of ""
I get some other symbol, for example). This works fine for schedules
uploaded using mythfilldatabase though. Is this a known issue perhaps?
Any suggestions to fix this?

2. When not watching live TV or recording I noticed that the backend
moves the dish to different satellite positions, I don't know when or
how frequently, I just noticed that it's often on a different position
then the one I was watching or recording from. Why is this happening?
Is it trying to get EIT updates on the other channels (and
consequently positions)? Can this be prevented (other than by stopping
the backend)?

Since this is my first post, let me also say that I really appreciate
the effort that went into this excellent application. Thanks to the
developers for your hard work, and thanks in advance for any answers
to the questions above.

Gergely