[mythtv-users] Best cx24116 firmware to put into Mythbuntu?

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Mar 3 18:38:26 UTC 2010

On 3 Mar 2010, at 18:20, Chase Douglas wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Andre Newman <mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk> wrote:
>> There are some odd problems with the firmwares, if you use the latest (I built a new machine three weeks ago) v4l-dvb driver from the hg repository then the firmware 1.26.90 works best. If your kernel has an older driver then 1.26.90 doesn't work! You have to use 1.22.82 or 1.20.79
>>
>> All versions gathered using the method posted on the v4l-dvb wiki for the hvr-4000
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-HVR-4000
>>

>> So it depends how up to date the Mythbuntu v4l drivers will be? If they are Ubuntu 9.10 vintage then you need 1.22.82 if they are recently refreshed then 1.26.90 seems to have fewer tuning failures with DVBS2, for me anyway but 1.26.90 just plain doesn't work with the 9.10 vintage driver!
>
> I'm interested in fixing the issue for Lucid (10.04) and previous
> releases. Do you know how I can tell if the Lucid kernel will work
> with the 1.26.90 firmware? If it's not easy to tell by looking at the
> source, would you or someone else be able to test Lucid (it's at the
> alpha 3 stage, nearing beta right now) to determine if the 1.26.90
> firmware will work?

I'll give it a go, I have a machine that's spare for a week or two with a hvr-4000 in it, downloading Alpha 3 now.

> I will work on providing 1.22.82 in karmic, though I'm not sure what
> should be provided for jaunty. If no one suggests anything different,
> I'll probably look at putting in 1.20.79 just to be safe.

If I recall correctly there were some issues with some very high symbol rate DVBS2 transponders and 1.20.79 I don't receive any satellites with transponder rates above 29.5Msym/s so can't confirm that here. I bypassed Jaunty so can't comment on that but I think most people just use 1.20.79

Andre