[mythtv-users] Wired vs Wireless

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Mar 3 23:15:05 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 03 March 2010 02:56:45 pm John Baab wrote:

> With that said, I recently replaced mine and ran a wire.  They weren't
> strong enough for 1080p content.  I ended up running a wire tucked
> under my baseboards and then into a return duct, you can't even tell
> its there.

Depending on your local codes, running a cable in a return duct may require
the use of "plenum-rated" cable, which is generally more expensive than
standard cable.

"Plenum-rated" cable is basically fire proof, or at least fire retardant, and
will prevent or delay the wire being a path for the propagation of a fire
trough the ductwork.

You may not be concerned with the authorities breaking down your door in
search of non-code wiring, but in the unlikely event that your house should
burn down, and your insurance company should discover the non-conforming
installation, you might have difficulty collecting any compensation.