[mythtv-users] When is a problem a bug and when is it a feature request?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 03:47:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 7:17 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:21 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 02, 2010 at 11:16:25PM -0600, Richard Shaw wrote:
>>> I probably shouldn't write this while I'm angry, but oh well...
>>>
>>> I was trying to archive off some videos to save hard drive space of
>>> some stuff I will probably not watch anytime soon. The problem is that
>>> there is over 30 episodes and when trying to archive 3-4 videos at a
>>> time to DVD I can't tell which episode is which because the list in
>>
>>    I dunno. I suspect that if you bypass MythTV when working with optical
>> media you will be better off and much less frustrated. It is an open system.
>> So you don't have to use the "vendor tool". You can rip stuff off of DVD or
>> author it back on without even touching MythTV proper.
>>
>>    There might even be a suitable bash or perl script floating out there
>> that would be just the thing. If I did this sort of thing, I would already
>> have such a thing lying around.
>
> I have used DeVeDe as well but of course it knows nothing about the
> Title/Subtitle/Plot, etc. and I like the menus generated by MythTV
> much better.

any2dvd has worked well for me and has a mythtv option to get show
details and include them in the menus.

However there was a recent thread where someone was having problems with it.

One problem in this area is the deprecation of tcrequant in the
transcode suite. tcrequant is a tool to resize mpeg2 video so it will
fit in a certain space (like the space on a dvd blank). It's absence
has left a hole in the market by all accounts.