[mythtv-users] Filesystem type / partition layout advice?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Mar 4 19:42:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 13:26 -0500, Donald J. Organ IV wrote:
> What type of partitioning schema would everyone recommend for a 750GB single drive to be used in a combined FE/BE system.

For a single 750GB drive for a MythTV only system I'd just use a single
large XFS partition.

It used to make sense to put /boot on it's own partition, but I know
the Ubuntu upgrade process chokes on that and there is little reason
for it anymore since grub doesn't care where the kernel is stored on
the drive. It still makes sense to give /var a partition on a different
drive for greater performance, but if you just give it a different
partition on the same drive that lowers performance.

ext4 has poor performance with the latest kernels and doesn't have
an online defragmenter yet. ext3 has poor performance all around
as do ReiserFS and most other older filesystems. JFS has decent
performance, but like ext4 does not have an online defragmenter.
btrfs is very promising, but is still in the experimental stages.

PS This assumes you don't disable auto-delete on all your recordings,
if you like doing that, you must put /var on it's own partition or
the mysql tables will get corrupted when the drive fills up.

-- Daniel