[mythtv-users] Need to change video renderer on some DVD ISO's

Shawn Hecker heckers at cfl.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 13:57:35 UTC 2010

I am using a motherboard with an onboard ATI video adapter and I'm
using the proprietary ATI drivers (Mythbuntu 9.10).  When using
anything other than OpenGL as my video renderer, the video tearing is
horrible.  The OpenGL video renderer is fine for almost anything, but
unfortunately some DVD ISO's give me a "need to change video
renderer" error.  I can play any mkv, ati, mpg, etc. file with no
problem and almost all DVD ISO's work, it's only a couple that
don't.  As expected, switching my video renderer to xlib allows
playback, but the tearing is unbearable.  I can play the same ISO's
in mplayer using -vo gl and it works...  If it's done from the
command line!  If I use an external player command within mythtv,
mplayer will freeze at a blank screen.  Has anyone else encountered
this problem?