[mythtv-users] mpeg4 on Ion ?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 16:15:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 6:43 AM, Ramon Redondo <malinon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone verify that the Revo1600 is able to play back SD MPEG4 content
> (DIVX/XVID... i.e. the standard format used by MythTV with the older
> frame-grabber cards).  While I've moved to the HDHR for my capture, I still
> have a lot of older NUV files that I want to be able to play on that same
> frontend, and will rarely use up my digital tuners and have a show end up
> recorded on the old frame grabber.

I have an ION-ITX-C based frontend, which I believe is the same Atom
processor as the Revo 1600.  It can play back SD recordings that
originated from a PVR-150 and were transcoded to MPEG4, without
stuttering and without any problems indicated in "-v playback" logs.
The CPU usage according to "top" is around 110%, which is OK because
of hyperthreading.  But if I try to play a similarly transcoded file
that originated from a 1080i HDHR recording, there is lots of
stuttering and dropped frame messages in the log.

So, it's hard to know about your specific files without actually
trying.  I'd be happy to test if you can upload a clip of at least one
minute or so.  (Your gmail account should allow you to upload and
share arbitrary files through Google Documents.)

Jim