[mythtv-users] Analog channel scanning fixed on trunk

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Fri Mar 5 16:20:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Paul Archer <tigger at io.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Paul Archer <tigger at io.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Marc, I am curious about your source about 0.23 being in 10.04.
>>> Specifically, I'm trying to find out if the final release of 10.04 is
>>> going to have the mythtv packages be 0.23-fixes, or still 0.23-trunk,
>>> as they are now. I don't want to upgrade if I get stuck with running
>>> SVN compilations. I did that once, and the WAF was waaay too low!
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Paul
>>
>> Howdy Paul,
>>
>> I'm a small part of the Mythbuntu development team.
>>
>> A snapshot of the 0.23-fixes branch will be taken around April 14th,
>> and that is what the 10.04 final release will contain.
>> Since the 0.23-fixes branch has not been created as of today (mythtv
>> trunk is in feature freeze/bug-fix mode for another week or two, then
>> the branch will be made), the 10.04 repo currently has a snapshot of
>> trunk, hence the reason for the ~trunk in the repo
>> (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/mythtv).
>>
>> 0.23~trunk should be replaced with 0.23+fixes no later than April 8th
>> (10.04 beta 2).  It would be nice if it happened for beta 1, but my
>> expectation is that the branch won't be cut in time for the beta 1
>> freeze.  This is roughly the same thing that occurred with 9.10 (which
>> you can see does indeed have +fixes:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/mythtv), and it worked out
>> reasonably well.  Main difference there was that 0.22 release was
>> considerably later/closer to the 9.10 release date.  0.23 was also
>> less focused on new features and contains numerous non-back ported bug
>> fixes, so overall, it is expected to be more stable.
>>
>> Long story short, as soon as the branch is cut, Mythbuntu follow the
>> branch, not trunk.
>>
> Thanks very much for the info, Marc. I'm posting this to the mythtv mailing
> list, since it's good information, and of general interest.
>
> One more quick question: I know there are bugs being fixed in 0.23-trunk,
> but is it relatively stable right now? I'd like to go ahead and upgrade if
> the WAF isn't too bad.

Anecdotal evidence is that it is overall at least as stable as 0.22,
although as of a week ago, there were some sporadic reports of new
crashes in MythVideo.  Unknown if those have been since resolved
(possibly related to stabilizing after the ffmpeg sync?).
Unfortunately we (well, Launchpad) is having trouble capturing back
trace information.

Having said all of that, there is of course, a reason that the 0.22
branch has not been cut yet: there are a few bugs that the MythTV
developers feel are serious enough that they are waiting until they
are resolved before making a 0.22 release candidate.[1]  I can't speak
to how likely you are to run into those issues.

[1] http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/425393#425393

   Marc