[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu Setup and Connecting to an LG TV

Brian Blater brb.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 18:54:32 UTC 2010

I'm working on my first Mythbuntu install and have a question in
regards to connecting it to my LG 42" TV.

Here is my setup. I'm running Mythbuntu version 9.10. Machine has an
AMD 64bit processor, 2GB of RAM a 65GB SATA drive and a 300GB IDE
drive. Video card is an EVGA Nvidia 8600GTS and I'm connecting to the
LG TV via the DB15 connector. This machine has a Hauppauge PVR-350
tuner card and will be both the backend and frontend for now.

I've installed several times as I work through various issues (mainly
with the motherboard and AMD processor). I have to boot with acpi=off
iommu=noagp,noapperture or else the machine will hang after a few
minutes. Any ways, through all these installs the one thing I can't
figure out is the screen is shifted to the right on the TV. I have
about a 1" black bar on the left side of the TV and I can't see the
right 1" of the screen. I've tried nvidia-settings to correctly
position the screen along with myth settings etc, but I just can't get
it properly positioned on the screen.

I know with a Flat Panel Monitor you can just hit the auto button or
whatever the manufacture has to auto configure the screen. However, I
can't seem to find anything like that on the LG TV. I've noticed other
Flat Panels will have a similar problem at work, although they aren't
using Linux or Mythbuntu. So, maybe this is just something that can't
be adjusted when using a TV as a Monitor.

Any ideas on how to adjust the screen so it is properly placed on the
TV screen? Maybe this isn't the best way to connect to the TV. Would
it be better to connect via the included video card adapter and use
the component video on the TV?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've been wanting to
setup something like this for awhile to show some friends that they
don't have to use the TiVo boxes or the other commercial stuff. They
can just build it themselves.

Thanks again for any help.

Brian