[mythtv-users] HD-PVR and OnDemand

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 00:50:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I don't use my Myth system to watch LiveTV, I just use the tuners to record
> my shows.  I've seen a few things on my Comcast OnDemand that I'd like to
> record.  How can I go about doing this with my HD-PVR?  Should I go into
> LiveTV mode, start the show, and tell Myth (somehow) to record off of that
> tuner?
>
> How do I go about that?
> Harry

This can be tricky, but there's a way to do it. First off, it may be
simpler to not use Myth at all and instead do the old 'cat /dev/video0
> movie.ts' thing. If you want to do it in Myth, you can try what I
did. Add a channel 01. Obviously, this won't have any guide data so
you have to create a manual recording schedule or else it will break
the recordings into 30 or 60 minute chunks (I can't remember which).
Set the recording to start in one minute or two. You can look up the
runtime of the program and set the recording end time appropriately,
or you can just set it for 3 hours (or so) to give yourself some
wiggle room. Then, once the recording starts, just start up the movie
and you're good to go.

I would suggest that you use the component passthrough on the HD-PVR
and watch it "live" right off the box until the program starts. This
is because it's hard to navigate through the menus when what you're
seeing is time delayed. Also, Comcast's on demand program changes
video modes when switching between menus and this can cause the HD-PVR
to choke momentarily.