[mythtv-users] Chicago ABC OTA channel 7 recording not playing on Windows

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sat Mar 6 05:48:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 09:20 -0600, Brent Bolin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM, TJ Kolev <tjkolev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I only have a MythTV backend (on Ubuntu), and use Win 7 media center to
> > watch the recordings. All is fine, except the recordings for WLS (ABC7, RF
> > channel 44) won't play. The files play fine in xine on my separate Ubuntu
> > desktop box. On Windows, media player just shows a black screen, Quicktime
> > and the XviD play promptly crash.
> >
> > Does anyone has a clue what the issue is? I am assuming the mpeg format is
> > not a flavor Windows likes. What tools can I use to find more information
> > about the file, so I can see what's different between it and one for say
> > NBC? Then perhaps I'll have an idea how to go about handling it.
> >
> > Thank you.
> > tjk :)

> I can confirm this plays fine in Mythbuntu also.  Don't know about
> your other question.
>
> Are you doing any transcoding or commflaging ?
>

> Didn't even know windoze media could play myth recordings.

I'm guessing here, but maybe Windows is using DLNA to read the files.
As we all know, MythTV automatically sets itself up as a DLNA server (I
know this because my Series 7 Samsung finds my BE without me having told
it where to look) and the Windows Client (whatever he's using) is DLNA
aware.

Microsoft are part of the DLNA consortium, so i makes sense that they
*might* support it.