[mythtv-users] multi-channel analog tuner advice?

Bryan Curnutt bryanc-mythtv at inspiredchaos.com
Sat Mar 6 09:38:24 UTC 2010

I'm new to the mailing list and don't yet have MythTV, or even a tuner card.
(Well, I think I have an old Miro DC10 in storage somewhere.)

I want to set up a back-end that records at least 4 channels at once.  I
receive TV over ComCast "basic starter" cable, which I believe is NTSC in my
area (my cable subscription is <$16/month, the most basic digital package
costs about $60/month.)

Ideally I'd get something like two Hauppauge HVR-2250, but since analog
isn't supported under Linux. I looked at the old PVR-500 cards, but have
seen a number of comments about issues with reception quality.  Same with
the pcHDTV HD-5500.  My vision is getting blurry trying to read through all
of the info on all of the possible cards to try to find what I want. and
it's sometimes hard to tell whether the Wiki info is up to date or not.

Any recommendations for a 4-tuner system to capture cable analog NTSC over
cable?

Should I just get 4 PVR-150 cards and make sure I have a system with enough
PCI slots?  (If so, does it matter whether they're MCE or not, or a mix,
given that this is for a back end?)

I have a P4-2GHz in an ASUS P4T533-C motherboard (5 PCI slots), but I'm not
sure how well it would work as a back-end for recording 4 channels at once.
I can buy a new CPU/motherboard/RAM if that's what it takes.

Thanks!

--

Bryan