[mythtv-users] Scanning Cable Channels

robert Larson dewmanstl at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:29:09 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone.

I am having a heck of a time getting channels to show up when I do a
channel scan.

We had basic cable installed at our house with no box, just a wire
from outside to the tv. We get about 68 channels. My tv cant get the
HD channels because I guess there is no HD tuner on the cable side,
just the OTA input.
So with the cable plugged into the Antenna I can get the HD Channels
(about 12-13)
When its plugged into the cable input of the tv I can get the channels
but just not in HD

I am currently running the latest version of trunk

When I scan for channels using my AVerTV_HD_A180 I am getting mixed results,
QAM-64 only seems to pick up the music channels
HRC and IRC - These do not lock onto anything
QAM-256 Does not seem to grab all the channels. ( only about 10-12 channels)

So the question being, is it necessary to use the scan utility that is
talked about on the wiki?

Also if the channels are encrypted is there something built into the
tv that decrypts the signals? Or since there is 68 channels that are
included with basic are those channels considered to be unencrypted
since we dont have a cable box?

--
insert witty comment here