[mythtv-users] Record protection ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 7 16:12:09 UTC 2010

On 03/06/2010 07:10 PM, lanas wrote:
>    Is there some kind of record protection to be found now on certain
> cable TV channels ?  I'm asking because I'm puzzled by the poor
> crackling sound of one recorded program, two weeks in a row.  The video
> is fine, but the sound is not pleasant at all.  On the same channel,
> and hour and a half before that show, another show recorded just fine.
> All of the shows since two weeks are recording fine except for that
> one.  Other shows from the same channel records fine.
>
>    So before I start to think that Mythdora/Linux/the computer has some
> problem I'm wondering if there's some kind of record protection that is
> starting to be used.

Let me guess...  The show with the crackling sound is a show with a lot
of dark scenes?  If so, you need to enable the setting (that everyone
should have enabled, and that's enabled by default):

Extra audio buffering
Enable this setting if MythTV is playing "crackly" audio.  This setting
affects digital tuners (QAM/DVB/ATSC) and hardware encoders.  It will
have no effect on framegrabbers (MPEG-4/RTJPEG).  MythTV will keep extra
audio data in its internal buffers to workaround this bug.

in mythfrontend at Utilities/Setup|Setup|TV Settings|Playback

Mike