[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: Using the PS3 remote with multiple Frontends

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 18:14:20 UTC 2010

On 03/07/2010 06:36 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 12:24 PM, David Kubicek<foceni at gmail.com>  wrote:
> A minor correction or perhaps I'm just arguing semantics, but I have a
> motorola bluetooth stereo headset, and that device can remember up to
> 12 different devices. It's true that it can't use more than one at the
> same time, but if I want to switch from my iPod to my Palm Pre for
> example, I just shut down the iPod and tell the Pre to connect. So it
> does appear that some BT devices can at least 'remember' more than one
> device at a time. I should have mentioned in my OP that I was curious
> if the PS3 remote had the same feature.

This is only possible when the remote device in question actively
supports this in its HW/FW. PS3 DB remote doesn't sport this feature
however. :(

> That sounds fairly easy, and considering I just inherited 150 Angstrom
> blades, I have lots of wires and buttons I could use. Any idea what
> the button would do or what it would plug into? I'm not sure how it
> would interface, exactly.

I meant a button preferably already existing on your case. :) Most HTPC
or "mutlimedia" cases have various front panel buttons, but don't lose
hope if you have just a plain case - there is a good substitue: USB
numeric keyboard. They look like this:

http://www.ibitstore.com/image/Belkin%20Mobile%20Slim%20USB%20Numeric%20Keypad.jpg

There are various sizes and shapes and they are perfect as a "control
panel" or "hardware console" for your device. You can even custom label
the keys if you wish.

I've successfully used these for a couple of dedicated devices and I can
highly recommend it. I'm sure you'll be able to find even more uses for
it once you have it. It looks good attached with a double sided sticky
tape (or a super glue) to the front side. The cable is hidden from view
inside the case via a hole drilled under (not below) the keypad.

If that's too big or harsh for you, you could make your own serial
attached button according to many simple designs you can find online
(possibly employing a consumer USB-to-serial converter).

--
David Kubicek