[mythtv-users] Revo 1600 de-interlacing and "ignorance"

David Asher asherml at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 20:50:31 UTC 2010

On Mar 7, 2010, at 1:33 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:

> I have been using this box for a while, and watched the olympics, etc
> on it and it has pleased me overall.
>
> Today is the first day since that I have watched a live sporting event
> (hockey) on it since the olympics.  I am running
> 2:0.22.0-fixes23604-0ubuntu7 from the avenard repo with the nvidia
> 195.36.08-0ubuntu3 drivers.
>
> Using the temporal 2x deinterlacer in 1080i is almost unwatchable.
> Setting it to bob2x is non-jerky, but blurry/pixelated as hell..
>
> I might have never watched anything with so much motion to notice it
> before, so I cannot say for sure 100%.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?  I always had mine set to the vdpau slim
> profile (using bob), but switched to vdpau normal (temporal) after
> reading a few posts.  It appears that vdpau slim is the only way to go
> for high motion 1080i material on this box.
>
> Can someone confirm or deny this.  I have only installed one update to
> myth since the olympics, so I am not sure if that may be it.
>
> If in fact it can get no better, I will have to switch from the revo
> to something else for sure.

Your message got me to finally look at Temporal 2x again on my IONs (I've been running Bob 2x -- or at least thought I was, see below).  I have 2 Revo 1600's and one Zotac ION all PXE booting Mythbuntu 9.04 (Nvidia 190.53 drivers, avenard trunk repo), and all with 2x1GB PC-6400 memory (DIMMs in the Zotac, SODIMMs in the Revo's).

Oddly, one of my Revo's handled VDPAU Normal much worse than the other Revo.  I've had other problems with that same Revo with certain h.264 recordings (the ones that had issues have "6 ref frames" while all the others say "2 ref frames" and were fine).  That hockey game (NBC Red Wings vs Blackhawks) did, in fact, look HORRIBLE with VDPAU Slim.  My normal setup, however, looked reasonable on both Revo's.  (I normally use Bob 2x for HD with vdpaubuffers=30,vdpaustudio,vdpaucolorspace=auto and OSD fade OFF).

The Zotac ION definitely does a better job, however, as it turns out I have had that one using Temporal 2x instead of Bob 2x for quite a while.  I find that surprising since its basically the same system.

The only thing I've noticed different between the two Revos is the BIOS reports the that the less "able" Revo has a lower CPU core voltage (NOT GPU core, 1.19V vs. 1.3V).  Also I returned another Revo which behaved the same thinking it was defective but the replacement has been no better.

Personally, I'd wait for the ION2 to hit store shelves for any replacing.  Hopefully it'll be able to do Advanced 2x ...

I have to say, however, that overall I'm quite happy with the Revo's despite the oddities.  You just can't beat the form factor and price (the Zotac ran me about $50 more, though I haven't sold the 160GB HD's which came with the Revos yet).  On the other hand the Zotac has been great -- and it is truly silent, whereas the Revo's are just VERY quiet.

David.