[mythtv-users] Mythweb Slow to Render Program Detail Page as Selected From Recorded Programs page

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 8 05:54:09 UTC 2010

On 03/07/2010 06:32 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Mache Creeger wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any ideas why flowplayer (the flash player server) takes between
>> 3-6 minutes to load on Mythweb?
>>
> Wow...I was going to enable it to see what happened until I read the
> dire warnings about it in the mythweb setup:
>
> "Flash video playback is currently only a proof-of-concept and should
> be considered EXTREMELY experimental, which is why it has been
> disabled by default.
>
> It currently expects that ffmpeg is installed and compiled with mp3
> support, and that the recordings files are accessible to your
> webserver userid. It probably won't work with Nupplevideo files, and
> in the end, it may just not work at all (or maybe even worse).
>
> Enable this feature at your own risk, and don't expect too much
> official help until it has left the experimental phase."
>
>   I don't even have ffmpeg installed on my backend anyway.

Actually, ffmpeg has to be installed on the MythWeb host, not the
backend host, and the MythWeb host must have local-filesystem access to
all the recordings you want to be able to stream (which could mean NFS
or CIFS--but no backend streaming) and the MythWeb host has to be
powerful enough to be able to transcode from whatever format you
recorded to Flash on-the-fly in real time with the CPU (no VDPAU or
other GPU assist).  (In these days of high-definition TV and, especially
H.264, the last requirement is becoming a real pain.)

What's there, now, is a proof of concept to see whether it was worth
adding the required code to the backend to allow Trash, er, I mean Flash
streaming.  None who have used it have gotten motivated enough to do it
right and add the required backend support for transcoding to
Flash--either on-the-fly (for users with overpowered backends) or to
store a 2nd pre-transcoded copy of the recording as Flash (for users who
like to waste electricity transcoding everything they might want to
stream some hours after the show is recorded), so if anyone really wants
it, feel free to ask for some pointers on how the patches should work.  :)

Mike