[mythtv-users] Multiple HDPVR Questions

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 15:43:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Don B <mythlist at bossung.net> wrote:
> If anyone is using multple HDPVR or other type of input with optical
> sound
> could you give me your opinion/recommendations?

When you say HDPVR, are you talking about this:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/HDPVR

or are you using the term to refer to your cable-co's STB?

The Hauppauge HD-PVR has optical audio inputs, so you can just hookup
up an optical audio cable from the output of your cable-co's STB to
the input on the HD-PVR.

You can have multiple Hauppauge HD-PVRs setup in Myth.  You just need
appropriate udev rules so they can be uniquely identified in Linux.

Also make sure you have good quality USB 2.0 ports to hook the HD_PVRs
up to -- preferably on separate controllers.  Some motherboards do not
have good USB ports on them -- especially older motherboards.

If by HDPVR, you are talking about your cable-co's STB, and you want
to do it the *really* hard way, then you would need a separate sound
card with optical audio inputs for each STB you wanted to hook up.
That is beyond my knowledge, so someone else would have to help you.

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?