[mythtv-users] EPG / scheduling data and multiple tuners

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 8 20:34:03 UTC 2010

On 03/08/2010 09:34 AM, Dan Armbrust wrote:
> I have a question about how guide data should be configured for tuners.
>
> I currently have 1 NTSC tuner, and 3 ATSC tuners.  All 3 ATSC tuners
> should be able to see the same channels (maybe), and the NTSC has
> slightly different channels.
>
> I don't have schedules direct set up yet... still deciding what to do
> about that.  But for now, I'm using EPG on the ATSC tuners.

I assume you mean EIT listings data.

> Should I be configuring each tuner for EPG?  Or should I just be
> configuring 1 tuner for EPG, and leave the others unset?

IMHO, you should be using Schedules Direct.  Don't waste your time with
EIT listings.  EIT data in the US is garbage.  Sign up for the 7-day
free trial and let it convince you that the listings data is worth just
under $0.06/day.  (And if you can't afford that, you should not be
wasting money on a luxury DVR like MythTV.)

> Likewise, if I set up schedules direct, or some xml thing, do I
> configure each of the 4 tuners with that?  It seems strange to me that
> I need to enter the same configuration data in 4 different tuners.

You will need exactly 2 MythTV video sources.  Those 2 MythTV video
sources may or may not use the same exact Schedules Direct lineup (and
you can have 4 lineups per Schedules Direct account, so you only need
one membership).

As for how to do the configuration, that's a whole other question with a
very long, detailed answer.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 should
get you started.

Mike