[mythtv-users] Best method to change from OTA to Unencrypted Cable Channels

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Mar 9 11:17:45 UTC 2010

robert Larson wrote:
> So what do I do about the channels that are not HD since you said not
> so scan for them?
>> If you use Schedules Direct, you should not scan for analog channels.
>
>  How does mythtv know about the analog channels? Or will they just come in?
>
> some of the channels are in analog and some are in digital. (Assuming
> you meant, is the HD channels and non-hd channels?) I do know that my
> tv will not produce the HD channels in HD when the coax is plugged
> into cable, but it does get the channels that are in HD when the coax
> is plugged into antenna. (Does this make sense?)

NO. Digital *does not mean* that the channel is HD. Digital means that the
broadcaster has the choice of using HD for that channel. Digital channels may be
either SD or HD.

Obviously, you can only watch HD channels in HD resolution if your TV is capable
of it, otherwise you'll get nothing. If you run your transmission through a Myth
system, however, it may be able to downscale the HD so that it can be viewed on
a standard-definition TV (likely your 2nd, 3rd,... TV).

--

Mike Perkins