[mythtv-users] OT: SSD issues

Alan Young ayoung at teleport.com
Wed Mar 10 18:20:26 UTC 2010

On 03/10/2010 07:51 AM, freedenizen wrote:
> This is quite off topic, but I am searched everywhere without luck, so
> I'm hoping that someone here can offer a pointer or two.  I'm trying
> to replace the system disks in my BE with OCZ Vertex LE drives.  I can
> get the data and everything copied over without a problem, but I have
> significant stability issues.  With AHCI disabled I get ata timeouts
> during the kernel startup, and with it enabled, the system will boot
> but after a few minutes I start getting kernel panics.  Running gentoo
> 2.6.30 currently.  I've tried this with both onboard SATA on this
> board http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon1333/5000P/X7DBE.cfm
> and with an PCI Promise TX4 PCI card.
> TIA

I'm not sure which driver you are using, but you might try disabling NCQ on
the drive.  There's a couple of different boot parameters depending on the
driver or device.  If you know you're are using libata, you can disable it
globally for all drives with libata.force=noncq.  But you'll probably want to
dig further to limit it to just the controller and/or drives affected.

You should also post this issue to the linux ide mailing list.  See
http://vger.kernel.org/vger-lists.html for how to subscribe and the archives
of the list.  The members of that list should be able to help figure out the
problem (even if disabling noncq works as a workaround).

Alan