[mythtv-users] New Build

Eric Yanush yanush2e at uregina.ca
Thu Mar 11 01:27:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am looking for some insight into my new system build. I was originally planning a new backend only system, but have decided to go with a combined fe/be.
I was originally looking at using a athlon II x2 240, but now that I have decided to go with a combined fe/be I have completely revised my plan:

Antec NSK2480 case with 380W earthwatts psu
Intel Core I3-530 @ 2.9ghz
Scythe Ninja Mini CPU cooler
2gb DDR3 Ram
Nvidia gt220
WD Caviar Green 1tb HD
Smaller drive for OS/DB

I was also looking at the gigabyte GA-H55M-UDH2 motherboard, which happens to be a shell shocker at newegg today!

I will be utilizing IPTV streams from my isp, (similar to verizon fios or att uverse) which will be captured via ethernet. Right now I will have to capture devices in mythtv, but I plan on adding two more in the near future.
Besides mythtv fe/be I plan on using this rig as a home media file server, running both xbmc and boxee.

I did consider using an atom based system as my fe/be but was unsure about its ability to do any heavy lifting, ie: comm-flagging.

I am wondering about the case and its ability to be cooled quietly, and if this system would be overkill, particularly the processor?

Thanks,

Eric