[mythtv-users] IEEE-1394 Woes

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 18:45:08 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:31 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> Gabe Rubin wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>>> I'm having an issue getting a DCT-6200 hooked up to one of my frontends. I'm
>>> using the ATRpms updated IEEE-1394 packages. I have posted on the atrpms-users
>>> list but haven't received a response.
>>>
>> Is it possible for you to get another STB?  Sometimes, one just
>> doesn't work, and you may want to make sure that it is not an STB
>> problem.  Incidentally, I recently swapped out my DCT-6200 flavor box
>> for a Pace box (unsure of the model number) and since then, my
>> firewire has been flawless using Axel's drivers and kmdls.
>
> I suppose that's a shot. I had it hooked up to another host where it seemed to
> be working although I was getting lockups I attributed to that host. This host
> doesn't even get that far.
>
> Is there any configuration I am missing with Axel's drivers? The blacklist for
> the default kernel drivers are still present in
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-firewire. Is that enough to keep out the original
> drivers?

I am not sure.  I don't use CentOS, so I don't know the specifics
(although I do know that people do have a working firewire connection
with CentOS and a DCT-6200; they just have to run a script often that
primes the connection).  If you search my name in the archives, I had
issues getting a working connection with the juju drivers and
explained how I blacklisted that and got this working (this was a
couple years ago -- I recently had problems that I overcame, but that
was because juju is built into the new fedora kernels; I don't believe
that is the case for CentOS and you should not need to do what I
recently had to do).

Are you sure that the driver is loaded and you have the right kmdl?
do a rpm -qa |grep ieee to see what comes up and lsmod | grep ieee.
Otherwise, you should check the wiki and make sure that your firewire
card/chip is one that others have gotten to work.  Could be you need a
more friendly firewire card.