[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Satellite Provider in North America

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 07:15:20 UTC 2010

It looks like Comcast has enabled the "Digital Content Protection" on basic
cable channels in my area today (Naperville, IL, Romeoville Head End I
think).  I sat down to watch "The Daily Show" and noticed that the recording
file didn't exist, did a scan with my hdhomerun and found that basically all
of the non-advertising non-local channels were marked as encrypted.  I sent
off a nastygram to comcast, but I assume that will lead me nowhere.

So, I had looked at DISH and DirectTV in the past, saw that the would be
cheaper, but since I was getting most of what I wanted on comcast without
having to have a bunch of boxes/ir blasters/hdpvrs... I stuck with comcast.
Since comcast has lost it's competitive advantage with me, I need to do some
digging to figure out which is better.

I'll connect my HDHomerun to an old antenna in the attic to get OTA stuff,
which will get 80% of the recordings I want,  but I can think of about 6
channels that I would like to record quite a few shows from, Bravo, Comedy
Central, History Channel, Discovery Channel, TLC, USA.  There are probably a
few others as well.

Anyone have any recommendations?  I know I'll need to get a box that
provides Component Video out, and get an HDHomerun.  I'll need to figure out
how to control the box (probably an IR blaster).  I may need to upgrade a
few of my front ends to use VDPAU.  Any other gotcha's?

Thanks for any input.

Bill