[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Satellite Provider in North America

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 12 14:06:53 UTC 2010

On Friday 12 March 2010 04:19:32 am Mark wrote:

> > Anyone have any recommendations?  I know I'll need to get a box that
> > provides Component Video out, and get an HDHomerun.  I'll need to
> > figure out how to control the box (probably an IR blaster).  I may
> > need to upgrade a few of my front ends to use VDPAU.  Any other
> > gotcha's?
> >
> > Thanks for any input.

> I have Dish, my neighbors have Directv.  I've seen them both for about
> 10-12 years.  I believe the costs are about the same, the HD boxes are
> about the same,
> the dishes are about the same, etc.  They're very competitive.  You
> should probably select them based on what channels you want, and/or what
> deals you can get.

I've had both, though DTV was years ago, and I agree they are quite similar.
I'd base a decision on what channels you want, in particular any of the major
sports packages.

Some of the DirectTV receivers function as a UPnP/DLNA renderer/control point,
if that's useful to you, DISH does not offer such a feature.

Some DirectTV receivers could be controlled by a serial port, I'm not sure
what the current status of that is, but DISH doesn't have any units that don't
require IR, but I've never had any problems controlling my DISH receiver with
an IR blaster.

DISH uses receivers that feed two TV sets, the second set output has limited
utility for Myth users, since it requires an RF remote and can't output HD.
This means if you want to have two HD outputs you'll need to pay for two
receivers. OTOH if the second set is an SD unit you won't have to pay for the
second receiver, but you won't be able to control the second set output with
Myth, unless you rig up an RF control.

AFAIK DirectTV requires a separate receiver for each set no matter what.

The second DISH TV output can be an RF-modulated NTSC UHF channel, nice if you
have to feed it a long way, but obviously you can't do HD that way.