[mythtv-users] Patriot Box Office Media Player, $89

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 12 15:52:11 UTC 2010

Hopefully not OT, since Myth has a UPnP server in it, and pretty much all Myth
users have stored video files and may want to play them without a full
frontend.

Someone sent me this link, wanting an opinion:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822219002&nm_mc=EMC-
IGNEFL031210&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL031210-_-EMC-031210-Index-_-HardDrivesExternal-
_-22219002-L0C

Certainly seems to be the cheapest unit of its type I have seen.

As usual with NewEgg, the reviews are of limited usefulness, and somewhat
contradictory.

Obviously I don't think many people on this list would have one, but I'm
interested in opinions before I just order one based on the price alone.

I'm concerned about the "built-in P2P", this is not something I want, and it
might cause it to be targeted by the content owners as a pirate device.