[mythtv-users] Recording Started But Missing

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 20:21:00 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 03/13/2010 02:24 PM, John Welch wrote:
>>
>> I apologize in advance if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm kind
>> of in a bind here.  I have a MythTV system that has been working fine.
>>  I'm currently running version 0.22 packages from ATrpms, and the
>> latest version says "svn fixes (23323).".  I have a HDHR as my primary
>> recorder, plus a pcHD3000 tuner card.  I also have a HD-PVR and a
>> PVR-150, which really shouldn't be coming into play with what I am
>> experiencing.  Today I scheduled several recordings (overlapping) to
>> try to catch many of the College Basketball games that are on.  All of
>> these recordings "should" be going on the HDHR and pcHD3000.
>> Unfortunately the one time I really just need this system to "just
>> work" I am having problems.
>>
>> Some of the recording I've scheduled have already started.  When I go
>> into one of my front-end systems the recordings show in the "Watch
>> Recordings" list, but when I try to select one I get a message saying
>> "Recording Unavailable.... This recording is not yet available".  When
>> I run the front-end from a command prompt and look back at the
>> Terminal screen after I get this message I see an error message saying
>> "<file name>  should be local, but it cannot be found".  When I look at
>> the mythbackend.log as far as I can tell everything looks OK when the
>> recording starts... I'm seeing messages like "Started recording:
>> College Basketball "SEC Tournament, First Semifinal: Teams TBA":
>> channel 9750 on cardid 13, sourceid 9" with no errors immediately
>> following.  The lights on the front of the HDHR are showing like the
>> device is recording on both tuners.
>>
>> After several reboots of the back-end and HDHR, plus deleting and
>> re-adding the HDHR tuners from MythTV I finally got one recording to
>> start (I think on the HDHR).  However, I should now have at least
>> three recording currently going.  I'm totally stumped.  If I was
>> getting some error messages on the back-end I would at least have
>> something to go after.  I kind of afraid to blindly troubleshoot for
>> fear of making things worse, both with the one recording I have going
>> and with for future regular recordings.
>>
>> If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.  I
>> still have about six more games left to (hopefully) record.
>>

> When MythTV thinks it's recording (and the backend--ignoring preview
> generator error messages--shows no errors related to starting the recording
> and shows the recording ending at the proper time) but there's no file
> created, this is almost always (or, just plain always?) due to an error with
> the capture device (occurring below MythTV level).  It means that MythTV
> started recording and wrote all of the data that the capture device gave it
> to a file, but since the capture device never gave it any data, there's no
> file.
>
> So, the problem is with your capture device, drivers, or your channel
> [...]

Thanks Mike.  It looks like sometime between Thursday night, when I
know I got good recordings from my HDHR, and this morning, when I
tried starting my recordings, Comcast changed all the channel
"transport numbers" -- not sure if I'm using the right term here, but
for example where my ABC-HD channel used to be 84#1, it's not any
more.  Even the one "good" recording I thought I was getting was not
recording the program I had actually intended.

Looks like I won't be getting my College Basketball recordings today.
It's been so long since I've had to setup the channels on HDHR within
Myth I've forgotten all the steps, so I've got a little re-learning to
do.  Oh well, what's the old saying.. "The best laid plans of mice and
men...."

Thanks again,
John