[mythtv-users] Restarted backend process and my ongoing recording got 'aborted'

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 03:17:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

>> Nope.  This is exactly as MythTV has always worked.  For recordings,
>> MythTV assumes that a broken recording is worse than a later recording.
>>  Therefore /because/ there's a repeat of the episode, it chose to not resume
>> recording the partial episode and instead wait for the later showing.
>>
>> If you wanted it to record the in-progress showing, you simply needed to
>> tell it to "Record anyway" (or whatever the words are)--basically do a
>> recording override for that specific episode that's currently airing.
>
> Oh, and I should have said:  Had there not been another showing of the
> episode in the listings, MythTV would have continued recording the
> in-progress episode (even though it would have gotten only a partial
> recording).  Therefore, you probably see this as a change in behavior only
> because the circumstances of your previous experience differ from these
> (before there was no repeat airing, this time there was).

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response.  This sounds reasonable, except that I had to
manually go in and specify an override that the later showing should
be recorded.  Before I had done that, it was marked as a duplicate
episode that 'had been recorded at an earlier timeslot' or similar.

I guess the important thing to take away from here is that the backend
will resume recording if it *has* to.  I will have to do some testing
though, just so I understand all of the circumstances.  This is my
first experience with 0.22 (having left my 0.21 server at my old
house) and the first time I have built my own server from scratch
since 2004.  Believe it or not, it is quite a steep (re)learning curve
for me :)

Again, thanks for the help.

Whytey