[mythtv-users] USB to Serial Adapter cable for IR Blaster?

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Wed Mar 17 13:41:04 UTC 2010

On 3/16/10 10:49 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> (ASCII art schematic follows.  Fixed font required
> for viewing)
>
>                              NTE3041
>                              +------+
> --------+           +-------+1    6+  +--------+       +--------
> ////////|           |       |      |  |        |       |////////
> ////////+=========*===   +--+2    5+--+   ===*===*=====+////////
> ////////|       |        |  |      |               |   |////////
> --------+       +--------+  +3    4+---------------+   +--------
>                              +------+
> Mono plug                                              Stereo plug
> to blaster                                             to DTA

I did something similar, years ago, to interface my Dish 311 receivers
to my HTPC. I did use current limiting resistors on the PC side, as a
precaution. I also hacked a 1/8" jack into the Dish receiver boxes, such
that when the cable is unplugged the switch in the jack reconnects the
receiver's internal IR module.

It worked pretty well. The limiting factor in my case was the fact that
the PC I was using at the time was underpowered and couldn't produce a
reliable IR stream 100% of the time, while doing other things. I ended
up ditching this after purchasing a USB-UIRT2 to act as a combo
receiver/transmitter.