[mythtv-users] Graphic cards supporting VDPAU and sound over HDMI

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 18:57:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Peter Carlsson <maillist.peter at home.se> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a motherboard with onboard GPU (6150) and am about to buy a
> new graphic card. I have search the MythTV documentation/Wiki and
> this maillist but have not found answers to all my questions.
>
> The machine is a dedicated BE/FE and is not intended for anything
> but MythTV. I would be very happy if someone could answer me.
>
> I would like support for Advanced 2x de-interlacer on 1080p content.
>
> - Will either GT220 or GT240 do the work or is GT240 overkill?
>
> - Is 512 Mbyte more than enough or should I go for 1024 Mbyte?
>
> - Will I notice any differences within MythTV if the card has GDDR5
>  instead of GDDR3 or is GDDR3 fast enough?
>
> My motherboard has an S/PDIF connector which is now connected to my
> receiver. I would prefer to replace this with sound over HDMI.
>
> - Is support for sound over HDMI reliable and do almost any graphic
>  card with a HDMI connector have support for sound as well?
>
> - Any special manufacturers to recommend or advice against?
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Carlsson

as far as NVidia goes, only the GT2xx series cards support audio via
HDMI where the card is its own sound device. What this means is it
does not need to use an SPDIF passthrough like the previous NVidia
chipsets required for PCI type cards. This is how their onboard chips
have been for a while. The downside is that ALSA is only starting to
support this feature of these chipsets, so getting them to work
basically requires running the latest ALSA release.

If you search this list and google you'll find information on getting
it working.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!