[mythtv-users] Hardware Suggestions

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Mar 17 22:02:25 UTC 2010

Brian mentioned Server Class machines --- which is a good point that I'd like to expand..

I have some rack mounted machines that have lots of fans but poor to no filtering. So dust accumulates in them like crazy.

(Actually, I do have an IBM industrial computer chassis that's awesome.)

In my system, I got a case from Coolermaster that sucks air through the front panel which is made of
grill material backed with foam filter. So the whole front of the case is one big filter.

I have 2 of these cases and I can see the results that I can vacuum the front clean, while the inside stays surprisingly dust free.

With that, I made sure to get a video card that's fanless. It's one less fan to go bad.

The only fans in the system are:

Case fan in front cooling hard disks.
Case fan in back drawing out air.
CPU Fan (smart type that adjusts according to temp)
Power Supply Fan.

I specifically got a motherboard where the northbridge was NOT fan cooled.

My girlfriend had on with a NB that was fan cooled. The fan died and shortly after so
did the motherboard. What a waste.

ANYWAY, my point - when looking for computers, try to keep the dust out.. that contributes to heat
and heat will kill components.

  -Ben