[mythtv-users] Combined fe/be - idle shutdown with mythfrontend running?

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Thu Mar 18 07:10:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

ACPI wakeup is working very nicely thanks to the guide at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/ACPI_Wakeup . The system wakes up to record
and sleeps afterwards - but it won't shut down when a user leaves
mythfrontend running, turns off the TV and walks away.

I'd like to script something that allows the backend to shutdown if
the frontend sits idle for however long, say 15 minutes. Most likely
by killing the frontend or somehow disconnecting it from the backend.
I'm wondering if people know of an idle timer anywhere in
mythfrontend?

(currently I'm planning to poll the telnet socket and kill the
frontend if it sits at the same menu, but something more integrated
would be nicer!)

Cheers
Chris

PS. I know about mythwelcome - my goal here is for the box to shut
down if it's left at the menu (assuming no recordings, EPG fetch etc.)