[mythtv-users] Combined fe/be - idle shutdown with mythfrontend running?

Martin Ginkel martin.ginkel at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 11:01:42 UTC 2010

Hi,

2010/3/18 Chris Adams <rocket at extremelan.net>:
> The system wakes up to record
> and sleeps afterwards -

Is this reliable for your system?
For me this fails very often, therefore I already scripted some workarounds.

> I'd like to script something that allows the backend to shutdown if
> the frontend sits idle for however long, say 15 minutes. Most likely
> by killing the frontend or somehow disconnecting it from the backend.
> I'm wondering if people know of an idle timer anywhere in
> mythfrontend?

Not really. There is a sleep timer for TV only but AFAIK no general
system timer.

> (currently I'm planning to poll the telnet socket and kill the
> frontend if it sits at the same menu, but something more integrated
> would be nicer!)

Seems to be one valid thing to check. If you use the frontend just for TV and
video then something as simple as polling the AVG CPU-consumption of
the frontend
process works quite well, if you consider a longer time-interval like
10-20 minutes.
But leaving LiveTV on and just switching off the TV will keep you box running.

           Best regards
             Martin