[mythtv-users] Poor Signal Strength

James Crow crow.jamesm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 12:19:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Simon Faulkner <simon at titanic.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been trying to get Myth running for several years on and off.
>
> I now have a Ubuntu box with a pair of Huppauge HVR 3000 DVB-S (T) Cards
> which runs really well and I *LOVE* it.
>
> Thank you to all the folks who have worked to get it this far.
>
> My slight problems is that I get poor signal strength
>
> Signal 5%
> S/N 4.8Db
>
> If I plug a Skybox or a Foxsat It gets good strength
>
> I get a picture and sound but there is an occasional squeek and some slight
> pixellation
>
> Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?
>
> Ubuntu 9.10  Fully upto date on 2.6.31-20-generic
>

> TIA
>

> Sim
>
> I can not answer about your specific cards, but I do know that my TV sets
have much more sensitive tuners than those attached to my Myth box. I
currently have 1 Hauppauge HVR-2250 and 2 Pinnacle 800i cards. The receivers
in the Myth tuners need much greater signal levels than the tuners in my
TVs. In fact, I split my cable line (4 ways) to send an equal signal to all
my recorders. I then split one leg of that (3 ways) and send the very
reduced signal to my TV sets.

My first guess would be the Sky box or Foxsat have more sensitive tuners
than the ones in the Hauppauge devices.

Cheers,
James