[mythtv-users] IR blaster missing channel changes - Scientific Atlanta 3250

John H arizonamythtv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 03:13:36 UTC 2010

>Here's a couple of refinements I had to make to get things working
>perfectly:
>1) My Home-made blaster 'eyes' were too strong - I had to move them a couple
>of inches AWAY from the receiver to avoid over saturating the STB's IR
>receiver.
>2) One of the pre-made 'stick-on' emitters I was using wasn't 'strong'
>enough - I had to tape a small piece of white paper on the tip of it at a 45
>degree angle to reflect more of the IR into the receiver. (the IR was
>emitted from the end opposite of the wire, instead of going directly into
>the receiver)
>
>For one of the receivers I had, I also had to increase the "min_repeat" as
>Jarod mentoned. (Basically that just simulates a human holding down the
>button slightly longer, thus repeating the signal "x" number of times.)
>
>Also, if you've got any fluorescent lights nearby (especially the CFL type),
>they can cause lots of IR interference. Sunlight can too.
>
>What is your IR blasting hardware by the way?

Thanks for the help. I'm using the blaster found at the link below.

http://www.irblaster.info/

I thought I was having an over saturating issue but it also happens on
startup. By startup, if the TV hasn't been on and I start watching
LiveTV naturally it'll blast the last channel I watched. Even on
startup sometimes I see the issue so this rules out over saturating
issue.

I wrote a simple script just to repeat/loop the irsend command and I
moved the blaster around to find the optimal location. I then stuck it
on with painters tape and then covered this with electrical tape. I
figured this would avoid any reflections and interference from
fluorescent lights.

I'm going to try the min_repeat.