[mythtv-users] Motherboards that support suspend to RAM (s2ram)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Mar 20 11:58:39 UTC 2010

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> I have an MSI Media Live box that runs as a Myth front end. It PXE
> boots and uses a read-only NFS share from the main server, all of which
> means it is perfectly safe to power off without any shutdown script. I
> even have the remote configured to do that: press the power button,
> click, front end powered off.

This might not be a good idea. How does the back end know that the front end is
no longer there? If you power off while you're watching Live TV, for instance,
you could end up filling your disk(s).

Your power off button ought to always ensure that the front end shuts down
cleanly before powering the box off, to ensure a clean status in the back end.

--

Mike Perkins