[mythtv-users] advise/suggestions on how to set up my drives?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Mar 23 15:03:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 09:18:51AM -0500, Johnny Walker wrote:
> In my setup on my backend / desktop workstation - It was sufficient to
> separate the mysql and the OS from the recordings as far as physical drives
> goes.
>
> Since newer drives are pretty large that leaves a lot unused space on the
> mysql / OS drive - but I'm able to live with that. I may replace that one

   You can always store media on the OS drive. The problem with storing
recordings on the OS drive is that you've got constant write activity and
also a lot of delete activity going on.

   You're not going to have that with a media drive. Your music or photos
or videos don't change that much. You could probably even mount them as
readonly if you really wanted to.

   The io "load" from reading that stuff from your frontends won't be
overwhelming either.