[mythtv-users] mythbuntu video stutter

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Wed Mar 24 00:53:09 UTC 2010

> I have the latest mythbuntu istalled from about a month ago release. I
> have 9400 GT video card with VDPAU (level2 <= 720P and
> level1 > 720P) turned on for acceleration . My MB is a old AMD 939
> board
> with Athlon signle core 2Ghz (2GB, DDR 400). I have periodic video
> stutter (about once in 10min) for about 15/30sec or so when I watch
> recorded shows (HD material). I usually either pause or rewind for a
> few second and stutter will go away.
>
> I have gone through mythtv VDPAU suggestions for turning off composite,
> cpu freq scaling.
> I also added triple buffer. I increased video buffer in backend_setup
> to large amount. Even with all this I still get the hiccups. Note that
> there is no problem in watching videos of from a DVD folder (obviously
> this is not HD) even from a remote machine through samba. I checked the
> machine load when the stutter happens and it does not show anything
> more than 20-30%
>
> Can any one suggest what other things I can do to solve this?
>
> Ramesh

Try running dstat in a terminal window and then go and watch a recording.
When it starts stuttering, have a look in the terminal window and see if
anything looks different for the most recent few samples.  dstat has tons of
options, but the default set (running dstat with no arguments) gives you a
good overview of CPU, disk, network, and system (interrupts and context
switches) usage.