[mythtv-users] Does 3d performance matter at all with Myth?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:00:14 UTC 2010

I'm assuming the answer is no but I figured I might ask.

I'm building a new multi-purpose machine:

1) My wife's desktop
2) Myth backend
3) RAID backups for other machines on the network.

and...

4) Only slightly possible is driving a large screen TV

Additionally I'm going to stick a BluRay drive in it just in case I
ever manage to get it near the TV in #4.

With that usage model how much does the VGA's 3d performance matter?
Does 3d performance have any effect on how well Myth runs?

Due to where the processor price points are this machine will be
pretty powerful as it will run an i7 920 8 core processor. It's likely
not much of an issue to offload some work to the CPU. However if the
only way to get to something like VDAPU is through some link to 3d
then I'd better pay attention to that.

As this machine is in a Media PC case and I'm going for very, very
silent most VGAs without fans have lower 3d performance.

Related question, is anyone using the nvidia Quadro processors as
opposed to the more standard desktop GeForce series? There are some
very nice Quadro cards without fans.

Thanks,
Mark