[mythtv-users] lost recordings and database orphans

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:57:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Greg Woods <greg at gregandeva.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 02:23 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> <a long and involved process>
>
> Yeah, I was afraid it would be something like this, but thank you very
> much for all the detail. I'm certain I could never have figured that out
> for myself. I'll probably give it a shot when I can set aside a block of
> time (maybe after work today).
>
> One more question: is there a more brute force and easier way? Is there
> a way I could clean things out completely by removing the remaining
> recording files and then emptying a few tables? I realize I would lose
> what recordings I still have, but it might be a lot easier and more
> reliable to use this approach. At least I would then have a database
> that was consistent with reality.
>
> I suppose I could accomplish that by just wiping the entire database,
> but then I would have to recreate all my settings as well and I'd prefer
> to avoid that, especially since I just spent a few hours dealing with
> the Comcast analog-to-digital conversion and redoing all my channels. I
> don't want to have to do THAT again.
>
> --Greg

Yes this does seem to be a long involved process.

I've actually been watching the thread in regards to disk partitions
and recovering from lost drives.

Currently have first sda driving holding o/s and recordings.  The
other drives in my system are sdb and sdc that are mdadm raid1 for
videos, music etc...

So as you can see there is NO redundancy on my primary drive.

I have been tinkering around with xbuntu(alternative install) on a
vista box using virtualbox.  I have successfully installed as /boot
using mdadm raid1 and / as mdadm raid1 and simulated different kinds
of disk failures.

I am considering setting up as /boot using mdadm raid1 and the rest of
the space as raid5 using LVM for /, recording_dir, video_dir