[mythtv-users] Does 3d performance matter at all with Myth?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:52:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:14 AM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com> wrote:
> This machine is a desktop PC for my wife. She does almost nothing that
>>
>> stresses her current Celeron machine. One core of an i920 is overkill
>> for.
>>

> I have only 1 backend and it's also a Mythbuntu Desktop machine for us to
> run Transmission, quickly access a web browser or even rdesktop up to my
> office when I'm working from home.
>
> Once I separated the Recordings storage directories to their own drive and I
> chose to also put in 4 gigs of ram - this triple-core (I had to be
> different) AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 705e works great.
>
> My tuners are 1 HDPVR and 1 HDHR.
>
> I haven't timed commercial flagging but it's plenty fast.
>
> -Johnny

Good point about separating the recordings drive from the system
drive. On all my backends over the years that's worked much better for
me also. As my current recording drive is an external USB 500GB drive
I hope to simply update the Myth database (I'm still running 0.21)
then install the database on the new machine, plug in the USB drive
and off we go. (I hope!) ;-)

We'll see how it works, but with 4 hyperthreaded processors running at
3GHz and 6GB of DRAM I'm just not expecting too many problems.

Again, we'll see....

Cheers,
Mark